Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Procrastination.

I admit that I am a terrible procrastinator. Take my kitchen for instance. It was a mess. I should have been cleaning it up. Instead I went outside to fetch the recycle container off the curb so that I could put beer bottles in it. I had full intentions of cleaning my kitchen as I was starting by taking the beer bottles out but, alas, I noticed how badly my carrots and beets needed weeding. Was the kitchen going anywhere? No, it wasn't. I took advantage of the nice cool gray weather and got my hands dirty. I weeded out my two rows of beets and my two rows of carrots. The carrots I had been putting off for a little bit because I wanted to make sure I was pulling weeds and not carrots. Now that the carrots all have their frilly little leaves up it was much easier.

Top two rows are beets (not sure why the huge gap between some of them) and then in the middle are two rows of carrots, and the front row is of radishes. I believe one radish is ready to be picked!!

close up of carrots. I think when I plant these again I can put the rows closer together. I could have easily had one more row in the middle.


beets. Again, I don't know why the big gap there. Maybe I "weeded" out some of the plants on a previous weeding spree.



lots of radishes. I tried to get a close up of the one ready to be pulled but the lighting sucked and the flash washed the red radish out. You can see it when we pull it.


The second potato patch. I wonder what we are going to be doing with all of these potatoes?


The kitchen is done now. So, you see, I was able to get the kitchen done AND get part of the garden weeded. Tim was just telling me that he thinks we should try and see if we can transplant the peas to the area by the carport. We have a good bit of space behind the tomatoes and I think they will be more sun over there and maybe grow more. They didn't get really big. Oh, and speaking of peas, I have breaking news. Aidan liked them. The boy who doesn't eat any color liked the fresh peas out of the garden. Connor ate the rest of them so now I'm out of peas. I think I'm going to go read up on peas right now and see if the plants will produce any more this season. One thing I do know is that next year we will plant a lot more pea plants than we did this year.

On a weather note...it is nearly 1 pm and it is only 64 degrees out. Is this normal for here? I guess I'm still used to living in Florida. I lived there for over 20 years and right now it is 95 there. That is the temperature that I think of for June. I must say that I prefer the 60's and 70's.

Well, I must end the procrastination and go fold some laundry. I think two blog entries in one day is enough...some might even contend obsessive.

No comments: