Friday, June 20, 2008

Day off.

It occurred to me today that moms never have a day off. It has taken me just over 8 years to come to this realization but it hit me hard today. There is always something that has to be done. Gone are the single days when a day off meant a trip to the beach for the day. I didn't HAVE to do laundry. I didn't HAVE to clean my room. I didn't HAVE to make dinners. I didn't HAVE to watch over another little person to make sure he didn't hurt himself. I could go to the beach with my friends, drink too much, lay in the sun until I turned purple and then come home, shower and go out with the same friends for a night out. Don't get me wrong. I love being a mom and I can say that I'm lucky in that I have two awesome little dudes. I just really wish I had a day off. I woke up this morning and thought to myself, "Self, you deserve a day off. You've been stressing out about Tim's job and the possibility of moving and all the crap that goes with that. You've been trying to get back into the routine after being gone for a weekend. You don't feel all the great. Take the day off." I have long conversations with myself sometimes. And then it hit me. I can't take a day off. The kitchen needs to be cleaned up after Connor's tea making. The laundry needs to be done. The kids are going to want to eat at some point today. Although Connor did make his own toast with butter and agave for breakfast (another mess I had to clean up after). I have to make sure the kids don't put a wii remote through the new flat screen TV. I have to take Patchy out for his potty breaks. There will be no day off for me. Why did it take me 8 years to figure this out?! I'm going to try and relax today. I will do the necessary things and then I'm going to read and knit and sit in the sun even if it is only for a few minutes.

Speaking of knitting. This is a scarf for Tim.

It's a Slytherin scarf from the Harry Potter movies. I have been working on this monster for 2 years now. Well, not all the time. It's boring. I can feel my eyes rolling back into my head when I'm knitting it because I'm so bored with it. I like doing cables and color changes and lace things....things that I have to pay attention to detail for. This scarf is a no brainer. It's about half done. I am going to make a serious attempt to finish it before he needs it this year. I think I will pick up another project to do when the monotony makes me crazy. Which leads to what came in the mail today:

I think this will do. I have always wanted to learn to crochet. My grandmother used to crochet these monster blankets and the tiniest little doilies. I love the way it looks and in my previous attempts all I've been able to finish are these long single chains of yarn. I do also have Happy Hooker and I've learned a lot from that but I wanted a different perspective to see if the knowledge will stick this time.

I suppose I should throw some gardening in here today since this blog is supposed to be about that. I am happy to report that Martin continues to amaze me. I even took him out to say hi to Barbara (his original mother) to show her how he's doing. Wow, does that ever sound dorky.

Martin

This weekend Tim and I will get out into the gardens and do some weeding and look at getting a couple more plants to throw in the beds. I'm trying to figure out if we want to grow more food or if I want to put some flowers out there. I was thinking either getting some more hot peppers or some flowers.

I'm going to go make another loaf of bread and go take a "day off". Have a great day!

No comments: