Saturday, June 21, 2008

Happy Day

This is a warning right off the top. There are a lot of pictures in this post.

This is how my day has been so far: slept in, Tim and I cleaned the entire house and then I went in search of a nursery. I was hoping to find this certain nursery but inadvertently found another one...and oh my, am I ever happy I found it. So I pulled into Herolds Farm Market stand on the side of the road in Nanticoke. As I was going in I passed an elderly lady coming out with hanging plants that were almost as big as she was. She smiled and said "I only went in for one." I knew I was in trouble at this point. I went in hoping to find some pepper plants and maybe some other food plants to grow in the extra space we have in the beds. Not only did I find plants, they were all buy one get one free. I first went over and looked at the herbs. I found one called Pineapple Sage. I rubbed the leaf and it smelled like fresh cut pineapple. I knew I had to have it.

pineapple sage

Then I looked at the other herbs because they were buy one get one. There were a lot of the typical herbs that you can think of and I have most of the herbs that I use for cooking already and then I saw this herb:


It's Rue. After reading about it I don't think I'll be using it in cooking, but I love how the foliage looks. I believe it's a perennial so I'll have to consult with Nancy where she would like it put. After looking through the rest of the herbs I went to go look for peppers. I was hoping to get Tim a habernero plant. We had one a couple of years ago and we got a ton of peppers off of it. No haberneros there today. I did get 4 small Thai hot peppers and 2 Cherry hot pepper plants. The Cherry hot plants have little baby peppers on them already. I am going to put the peppers behind the tomatoes over by the carport. They will get a lot of sun over there.

Cherry Hot Pepper

peppers on the Cherry Hot

After the peppers I wandered around looking at the massive amounts of plants around. This place was huge. I enjoyed walking around with the sun making my skin warm. I inspected a lot of different plants. I found some cabbage plants. I picked up 4 to add to one of the beds in the back. We already have the Savoy growing back there and these are just plain old cabbage. Still
makes great cole slaw.

cabbage

They didn't have many other veggies to look at. They did have a lot of tomatoes, but we are in no need of tomatoes. I then decided to start looking at the flowers. It was overwhelming. I start to over-think when I'm looking at flowers. I try to figure out color schemes and where things are going to go and it turns into a fiasco. I found these gorgeous Geraniums in bright pink and I picked up two of them.


And then I saw some really neat crawling Begonias that had huge flowers on them. Molly has some Begonias on their front porch and they have really pretty flowers.


While I was walking around a gentleman working at the place unloaded huge flats of Snapdragons. I know these were on the wish list of Nancy when we started the gardens this year. I had started some from seed, but they didn't do very well in the basement. So I got a bunch of them there. I'll have to figure out where to put these babies.


I also picked up some more marigolds to put around the tomatoes on the patio garden. I've never really been fond of marigolds, but they are great bug deterrent around the tomatoes.



So, with all of these plants in hand I went in to pay. I was thinking it would come up to 40 dollars. It was only $18. Huh? What?! Awesome! Since I had planned on spending more, I took all of these plants out to the car and went back to look at the hanging baskets that I had been studying for a while. I've not really had great luck with hanging plants in the past. I get them home and they look good for a couple of days and then die. I either over water them or underwater them and last year I had a bird build a nest in one of my hanging baskets on the front porch. The nice lady who rang me informed me that the hanging baskets were buy one get one half off. Say no more. I picked up these two beauties. They are huge!! The basket of petunias I have on my front porch and I wasn't sure what to do with the other big basket so I put it upstairs outside Nancy's little kitchen table window.




When I was done at Herolds I had to stop at the store and pick up some food and outside of the store they had perennials on sale for two buckets for 12 dollars. I picked these up. I'm not sure what they are right now, I'll look it up and report later.

***updated: The plants that I got at the grocery store are Gaillardia or Blanket Flowers.



So, all in all, I'm a very happy little Bee. I got a lot of new little plants to try and keep alive. I'm hoping to get all of this stuff into the ground tomorrow. It was really hot when I got home and the sun was beating down. I hope it doesn't rain all day tomorrow. I have to cut the grass and do some weeding. It looks like we have a thunderstorm rolling in now. We've had rain pretty much every day this week which is making it nice for watering the gardens. It's saving me money and time. I like that.

No comments: