Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Playing.


A pear on Nancy's pear tree.

Today I am playing with photoshop. I have never used it. Frankly I find it somewhat intimidating. But I wanted to put kind of mark my pictures so no one would take them as their own. This was Tim's suggestion. So, I've figure out how to get my name on the pictures but would like to figure out how to do outlines around the pictures. I will say that it is fun learning new things.

The garden looks happy today. It's still kind of cool out. It's cool enough for me to be in jeans still and wear a hoodie. I went out and did some fast weeding a few minutes ago and plan on spending more time this weekend and do some serious weeding. We did not get out into the garden last night to tie up the rest of the tomatoes so that is on my to do list still.


cabbage

I am amazed with our cabbages. I think next year I would like to try and double how many cabbage we have. Nancy said that we will only get one head off of each plant so we are looking at four heads of savoy cabbage. Mmmmm, cabbage rolls. I'm also curious to see how many zucchinis we get off of two plants. I am hoping for a lot of zucchinis. Same with the cucumbers. I'm pretty sure we got pickling cucumbers and I hope we get enough to make pickles with and can them. If not, we will have to put more in next year as well.


One of many zucchini blossoms.

One of two zucchini plants.

The beans. Ugh. Only three wax bean plants survived and one green bean plant. I'm not sure what happened. I don't even know if I like wax beans. I just thought it would be fun to make some three bean salad to preserve.

wax beans

The onions seem to be doing pretty good. We finally got those planted last week. There are four rows of them going. I still have some more that I can put down. I wanted to see if they would take and start growing. They have and now I will add a couple more rows. Can't have enough onions.

One row of four of onions.

In other good news. The shamrock has a name. His name is Martin. He's named after a very good Irish friend of mine in Florida. I miss Martin so now I have a plant named after him. I thought that Martin was suffering after his transplant. He kind of looked sad and Tim said it looked worse from when I got him from Barbara, but today I noticed about 11 little new shoots coming up through the soil. I'm so very excited! I really want to keep this plant alive. It's so pretty to look at.

Martin's growing!

Speaking of pretty. I took this picture at Tim's aunt Mary's over the weekend. I love the way this flower looks and it was on a large bush that was climbing up the side of their house. I had no idea what it was but I got a catalog from White Flower Farm today and I've discovered it's a Clematis. I want to get a couple of bushes. Actually there were several things that I'm drooling over in that catalog. It's their fall catalog with all of the spring bulbs. Are you supposed to put bulbs in the ground before the winter? I thought you had to pull the bulbs out before the ground turned to ice. I suppose I should look that up. The thing that sucks is the fact that we don't know where we'll be in a year. I don't want to put a bunch of bulbs into Nancy's yard and then not be here to see them come up. Plus, I don't know if Nancy wants me to dig up her yard. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens.

Clematis

I have to go put a loaf of bread into the oven. There is no bread in the house and I have a hungry boy who wants a sandwich. Have a great day!

Connor getting ready to bite into a radish he picked.

No comments: