Thursday, June 5, 2008

Uncertainty.

We had some pretty crappy news today. Tim's company is being bought out which basically signs Tim's pink slip. No one is happy with this. We don't want to move again. We don't want to leave our friends here. We don't want to leave our garden, though I know it would be tended to lovingly by Nancy. It just sucks. Tim has a potential interview in Manhattan. If he gets the job it means a move back to NY. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I know we need to find a job ASAP so there is no lapse in insurance for Connor but it doesn't make it any easier.

In other news, the sun is trying to peek out here at 1:30. It's been gray all morning but warmer. I peeked outside at our little garden and the kids seems to be doing well. We are going to tie up the tomatoes later this afternoon.

It is now 5 pm. I had to step away from the computer for a bit and boy, am I glad this thing autosaves. This afternoon I did get 20 tomato plants tied to the stakes and I did the pruning by pulling the new growth out of the Y's. I'm sure there is a technical term for that and I'll look it up later. I think Tim and I have figured out what we are going to do about the whole job situation. If he can nail a job in NYC, he is going to commute. The kids and I will stay here and we'll pick him up on weekends. That way the schooling situation stays the same, we can keep all of our doctors here and we can save some money and figure out where we are going to settle....so my garden experiment appears to still be a go.


In other news, the worms are doing well. Worms? Yes. We are attempting vermicompostin. I made a worm bin out of a plastic 18 gal bin I picked up at Target. I drilled some holes in the bottom and some holes at the top. I filled it up with damp shredded newspaper and ordered some wormies on the internet. We put them in the bin and put the top on and figured all was well. Came back in an hour to check on them and they were crawling out of the top making a mass exodus. After freaking out, I googled and found that it's normal for the worms to do that until they get settled in their new environment. So, they are now in the basement with the lid off and a light on over them. They don't like light and stay burrowed under all of the paper. The kids have had fun watching them and feeding them. They have had some egg shells, coffee grounds, apple cores, banana peels and some carrot skins. They are eating it and hopefully leaving some nice castings for us to use in the garden. Supposedly worm castings are the best fertilizer. I haven't really figured out how I'm going to scoop the poo out yet, but I will by the time I need to.


The mailman was hilarious when he handed me this box.



We opened the box to find 1 lb (roughly 1,000 worms)



The worm buddies in their new home.


Connor and Patchy stand at attention waiting for escapees.



Not much else to report. The sun is out and it's hot and sticky. I think I'm going to plant the onion bulbs in bed 2 tomorrow. We forgot those. Have a good night.

No comments: