Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A quick wrap up.

It appears that I'm figuring this out faster than I thought I would. So I will go ahead and do a quick summary of the past month to catch everyone up to speed on what has been going on in our dirt.

First I guess I should put that the weather this spring has been weird. All of the trees bloomed what I thought was early but the nights continued to go down to freezing up until about a week ago. It has finally warmed up to the 70's during the day and it's only going down to the low 50's at night. I worried about our tomatoes that we put out. They seem to be ok though.

What we have planted so far:

Kentucky Wonder bush beans
Brittle Wax garden beans
Detroit Supreme beets
Zanahoria carrots
Crimson Giant radishes
Baby Leaf Hybrid Spinach
Broad London leeks
Sugar Bowl Hybrid watermelons
Bold Border mix snapdragons
Flavours Hybrid mix impatiens
Rhubarb
Sweet Peas
Calypso cucumbers
Green zucchini
Broccoli
Italian Large Leaf basil
Dill
Yellow Onions
Potatoes
Big Boy tomatoes
Jet Star tomatoes
Beef Master tomatoes
Roma Plum tomatoes
Early White Vienna kohlrabi
Savoy King cabbage
California Wonder peppers
Hot Portugal hot peppers
Santiago hot peppers
Cayenne hot peppers
Rosemary
Cilantro
Greek oregano
Provence Lavender
Cosmos

Now, pretty much all of that was bought as plants at nurseries and Lowes. I started the green beans, wax beans and leeks from seed. I also planted the watermelon seeds, impatiens, snapdragons, cosmos, and some pumpkin seeds as well. The only things that actually sprouted were both types of beans, the leeks, the snapdragons and a couple of cosmos. I'm not sure what happened to the other things. I'm kind of bummed out about the watermelon but I'll survive.

The tomatoes went into the ground between May 17th and May 27th. We also planted our seed potatoes on May 17th. I guess I should explain how the gardens are set up so you understand what is where. We have three separate yard areas that we are using. The first one is the side of Nancy's house that is out our back door. That is where we planted the pea plants (up against an old chain link fence in front of the A/C units.) I put my rhubarb in next to the roses and then I planted 2 rows of beets, 2 rows of carrots and 1 row of radishes. These were all from seed as well. There were also put two rows (I think) of potatoes. In this plot there are also 3 rose bushes, an azalea, and some lilies. They all seem to be co-existing nicely. The next area we planted was around Nancy's cute little brick patio (on the side of our carport). There we have planted like 15 tomato plants and 3 rows of potatoes. There is still some room to plant some more things there and I think I'll put some more bush beans over there. The third garden area is located two doors down (still Nancy's house) in the back yard. In the back yard there are four separate little plots all bricked out and surrounded by a cute brick pathway. I will explain what is in each plot when I figure out how to code them so you understand where I'm talking about.

Ok, kids are screaming. Will post this now and then come back and update some more and include some pictures.

1 comment:

nanaruthie said...

looks like you have done a lot of work in your gardens even with all the bad weather. a garden this is size is a lot of work....but i am sure you will reap your rewards in lots of tasty veggies. keep us posted.