Saturday, July 5, 2008

Super Saturday.

Hello all. It's a gorgeous day here in NE PA. A little gray still, but the temps are perfect. Actually the temperatures have been beyond fantastic so far this summer. We only have had four days that have gone over 90. It's usually been in the high 70's and low 80's. That is nice for me who grew up in Florida with the temps always being above 90. We've been really lucky with the rain too. Makes for some great gardening!


Yesterday we picked one pickling cucumber. I don't know what I'm going to do with it. I was hoping to pull a whole bunch at once so I could pickle them. I don't know how long they will stay in the fridge before it goes bad. There are a couple more on the vine still, but not ready to pick.


My beets are looking like they will be ready to pick very soon. The tops of them are popping through the top of the soil and are a pretty good size. I don't know if leaving them in the ground until we get back from vacation will make them get too big and yucky. I'll survey it on Thursday before we leave. No sign yet from the seeds I planted the other day yet. I really hope they come up.

Nancy gave this to me yesterday:

I'm not sure what it is. She said it was for making jam. I'm guessing it's to put the fruit into and then you grind it up and it removes the seeds? I'll have to go ask her in a little bit. I am hoping that when we get home from vacation I will have a pressure cooker canner waiting for me. Then I can start hitting the farmer's market with a vengeance.

I continue to be amazed by the sheer amount of tomatoes that we have growing out there. This picture is from one of the 21 plants we planted and this is one cluster of two on the same bush.


This morning I caught another little busy bee collecting well over his weight of pollen. His little legs were so covered with pollen I wondered how he was going to fly away. It was so neat to sit and watch him for a couple of minutes gathering the pollen. It also made me wish for a better camera to get a closer, clearer shot of him.


Not sure how much will get done outside today. I'm hoping to get out and do some weeding, but I need to focus on the inside. Procrastination struck again! I hope everyone has a great day!!

No comments: