Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Happy July!


Aidan's answer to weeding.

I just weeded out the carrot/beet patch. Both appear to be doing really well. I wonder how long it takes for the carrots and beets to be ready to pull out. Tim pulled a beet the other day and it was small. I'm still going to cook it. I've heard that smaller beets taste better but I want them to grow a little bigger before I harvest all of them. I put down two more rows of beets with the "seed tape" that we made. I'll be watching them every day to see if they actually sprout. I think the beet package said it takes ten days to germinate.


beet seeds

I also planted the green bean strips in the back garden bed behind where I put four cabbage plants. It's not the sunniest spot, but I think they got over heated where I had them before. The only thing I'm going to have to watch is to see if the cabbage leaves get to big and choke out the green beans. But we'll wait and see if the green beans even sprout or if the cabbage get that big.

The only other thing to report is that I put the Asters under a rose bush. I trimmed the rose bush back a little bit and noticed that we had green caterpillars on one of the rose bushes again. They have been picked off. I still need to figure out where to put my Ganzanias. I also need to tie up the tomatoes again. I did get the dirt put around the bases of the second potato patch. So far, I think we are keeping on top of everything pretty well.

I think that is all I have to put today. It's the first day of July. We leave for vacation in ten days. I'm going to miss my gardening but will enjoy being in a pool for a week.

Have a great day!

No comments: