Thursday, July 10, 2008

Busy Bee Buzzing Off.

I just sat down to the computer to sign in and update and Connor wanted the computer at the same time. I told him that I was doing my last post before vacation and I was trying to figure out what to say. He came up with the title of my post. "Mom, just tell them Busy Bee is buzzing off to Florida". So there you have it.

I haven't even been out in my gardens today. Yesterday morning the boys and I headed over to NY to drop off our Patchy. Grandma is going to take care of him while we are away. We got home today and I've been busy packing and getting ready for an early morning tomorrow morning and a long day in airports. I've been promised margaritas poolside when we get to our destination though.

We had a nice time over in NY. It was fun seeing all the plants and gardens that my MIL has going. She has a ton of space to garden, but unfortunately has terrible soil (rock) to plant in. She has had to build beds and move rocks around and truck in all kinds of dirt, but it looks great. Last year they had an amazing garden that kind of got me thinking that I might want to try my hand at it.

MIL's garden

raised beds

Notice the enclosure? They have herds of deer that roam their property and they had to do that to keep them from eating everything. I guess everyone has their problems to deal with no matter where you are. Us, we don't have a lot of space, but we don't have too many critters trying to steal our goods. They have a ton of space but have all kinds of wild life and bad soils to deal with. Goes to show that gardening can be done anywhere with a little work and persistence.

One of the major things that I fell in love with there was a bee balm plant that she had in her front garden. It was huge and it was buzzing with activity. This is going to go on my wish list for next year. I'm going to have to find a place to put it.

Bee Balm

A busy bee.

We had a nice night there. Ed grilled some killer ribs on the grill and we ate way too much food. Oh, and we also got to taste test some home brewed beer from Ed. It was really good. I was impressed. A little more bubbly that I'm used to, but good flavor. I might have to try that some day too. I have so many things that I want to do and try and I don't know when I'm going to get it all done. I know school will be starting up again in another month and a half and instead of teaching one, I'll have two now. I think I'm going to have to brush up on my time management skills some more.

Aidan vs Rib...Rib won.

mmmmmm...beeeeeer (yeah, that was in the Homer Simpson voice)

So, here I'm sitting trying to make sure I have everything packed and ready to go. I think I do. I will wander out into our gardens tonight and try to get kiddies in bed at a decent time so we can start our vacation tomorrow. I might try and pop a post in here and there, but I'm not making any promises. I'm hoping we'll come home to lots of tomatoes ready to pick and a pressure cooker(hint hint Tim).

Hope everyone has a great day!

2 comments:

Chile said...

That bee balm is gorgeous! Have a nice trip, and margarita.

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

Homebrew! I was a little skeptical at first, but now I am so impressed with my hubby's brew. The latest flavor is peach!