Monday, July 7, 2008

Mystery in the garden.

Again I have a mystery in the garden. While we wait to find out if our squash is butternut or acorn, I am now looking at something wondering what it is. You see, we used our compost when we planted our peppers and some of our flowers a couple of weeks ago. Everywhere we use the compost we have these plants that have sprouted. At first I thought they were sunflowers. The first two leaves out of them looked like that, but the second set doesn't. I asked Nancy what she thought they might be and she thinks either cantaloupe or cucumbers. We don't eat cucumbers all that often but will have a cantaloupe from time to time. They are Connor's favorite melon. So, does anybody out there recognize what these little guys are? I'm going to leave them in the ground because they look really healthy and aren't going to crowd anything out (for now). I know Connor will be beyond thrilled if they end up being cantaloupe.

mystery


growing under peppers


have no idea

The garden is looking dry today. We just had the smallest rain shower go through and it basically was enough to spike the humidity up and not do anything for the plants. We'll have to get out and water later. We can empty our rain barrels and finish emptying the kid's pool. I don't think we'll have to resort to the hose tonight.

I did get a little more weeding done out there. I cut it short because 1. the humidity and heat was killing me and 2. the mosquitoes have eaten me alive. Later tonight I'll go out there in jeans and spend some time. Tim has said he'll help me with the watering.

That's all I have right now. This is going to be a weird week because we are preparing for our departure on Friday. Wednesday my day will be spent driving 3 hours over and 3 hours back to NY to drop Patchy off at his grandma's house. She's been kind enough to offer to take care of him while we are away.


1 comment:

Lewru said...

I agree with the melon hypothesis. The compost pile is how I got my current butternut squash monster. We've harvested six and counting! Hope your melon goes gangbusters, as well.