Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sunflower Sunday

The kids planted a couple of sunflower seeds back in May. Today they have flowers open. They are miniature sunflowers. They are only about 8 inches off the ground and we are laughing about how we've made it easier for the squirrels to get the seeds out. I love sunflowers. I can remember on my grandmother's farm...she had a whole patch of sunflowers that towered over me and I think my dad (who is 6'4"). We planted a bunch a couple of years ago at another house that we lived in. They are great for kids to plant because they grow easily. The boys were very happy to see their little ones this year. I think next year, we'll plant a whole bunch of tall ones again!



I'm happy to report that the cucumber trellis is still standing. I had my doubts as to whether or not it would stay up, but it has and the cucumber vines are really starting to take hold. I'm proud of that.

happy cukes

Is it too early to start planning for next year? I am already mulling over in my head what I'm going to attempt to grow from seed next year. I'm figuring where we are going to put things. We are going to have to move the tomatoes around in the back garden I think because they have been grown there for a couple of seasons now. I also think Tim and I are going to have to build some more grow lights. We built one just for fun to see if we could. We did and it works great. But, I'm thinking we are going to need at least two more of them set up. Also, I need to look into getting some warming mats to put under the trays of seedling cups to help warm them. I would love to build a small greenhouse in the back yard, but I don't think we can pull that off in the city. I have joked with the kids that I'm going to take the bottom half of their fort and have that as my potting bench area. I still might do that.

our DIY grow light
Not too much else going on today. The house is clean. I weeded out a couple of the beds. I think we are going to drain the kid's pool again and water the gardens with the water. It's sunny out today and getting hot so I'm going to want to do that sooner than later.

I hope everyone has a great day!

2 comments:

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

Hi BB - what will you be using for your starting mix? I will be starting my first group of fall transplants in the next few weeks and need to get the right stuff! Already have peat moss, but that's it.

Bee said...

This year I just got a couple of bags of seed starting mix from the store. I didn't know any better. I still have a bunch of it left. When I run out, I'm not sure what I'll do. I know that peat moss is good because it helps retain the water. Sorry that I couldn't help out more. =)