Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The heat is on

It is going to be a hot one today. They are saying our high is 90. HOT! I don't think we are going to get any rain today either. I got up and out there early this morning to check out the gardens and do some watering. The dirt was looking parched. None of the plants looked wilty yet but I wanted to give everything a quick drink. I think it's supposed to rain tomorrow. I hope. The gardens are looking good. Nancy called this morning and told us to go check out the zucchini. I think we have a couple that are going to be ready to pick. Nancy can pick them because I'm still trying to get through two huge ones that I got at the farmer's market last week. I just made two loaves of zucchini bread with one of them. I think the other one is going to get stir fried.

zucchinis ready for picking

While I was back there watering I noticed our savoy cabbage. We have four of them planted and they are huge. I have said before that we will probably plant more next year, but I think they will need a bed all to themselves. It appears they need more room. They are kind of choking out the kohlrabi.

future cabbage rolls

I got some weeding done. I need to spend probably an entire day out there weeding. I do a little bit here and there but a lot more needs to be done. I haven't seen any life yet from my beets or green beans that I planted, but I'm still hopeful they come up. We are going to leave our other beets in the ground until we get back from vacation.

In crafty news, I have started another project to take the monotony away from Tim's Slytherin scarf. I am going to make a blanket/throw. I'm making a bunch of blocks in a basket weave stitch and then I'll stitch them all together. I have this great green colored wool that I had gotten to practice crocheting with (I sucked) and I'm trying to decide if I want one or two other colors to mix it up with. I'm thinking a chocolate brown. I'll have to look around next time I go yarn shopping. I'm doing it in blocks for a couple of different reasons. It's easier to knit smaller things than getting a whole blanket on a couple of needles. It would get heavy really fast. It's easier to work with in smaller blocks. Yeah, it will suck stitching all of them together, but I can use the practice on it. I'm going to take Tim's scarf to Florida with me and I can knit that while I'm on the plane and in airports. I feel better about taking that project because it's on a small plastic circular needle and looks less intimidating than these huge metal needles that I'm working on the blanket with. I want to get through airport security in a breeze. I'm already worrying about Connor's insulin and pump supplies.

Almost finished block.

So, my house smells like cinnamon from my zucchini bread and I'm trying to chug through a bunch of laundry today. I will be on the road all day tomorrow going to NY. I am going to try to take some pictures of my mother-in-laws garden while I'm there because her gardens kick butt! I think that is all I have for today. I have lots of things mulling around in my head right now. I joined a new challenge as you can see on the side over there. I want to write about that some in the near future and think more about what we should be doing to get ready for the near crisis this country is about to be in...although I would argue that we are in a crisis already.

Have a great day!

1 comment:

Lewru said...

Beautiful block! I wish I had could knit/crochet better...I can manage to make very plain things that will do the job but they sure don't look pretty.

And I'm SO jealous of your zucchini! Mine got the squash borers and had to be quietly composted. Yours look beautiful!