Sunday, June 8, 2008

Hot, hot, hot.


One of our potato patches. I swear these grow by an inch a day.


A very happy looking zucchini plant. One of two. Tim is waiting for zucchini bread.


Our baby tomatoes continue to grow each day.


Oh my. How did farmers go out in the fields all day and tend to their crops? I was out for maybe 20 minutes working on the potatoes and I nearly passed out from the heat. Of course, I was doing it at 2 pm when it was probably the hottest of the day. Yeah, sometimes I'm not the brightest. I think my time gardening will be spent either in the early morning or at dusk.

We did end up having a very fast thunderstorm last night. It lasted maybe 5 minutes so I'm glad that we had watered. It was neat though because it got really dark and windy and it cooled things off a bit. It's been nothing but sun and the 90's again today. I don't remember it being this hot last year at this time. Last year at this time we were coming over to this house every day painting and fixing up for our move-in in July. We had windows open for most of the month because it wasn't that hot. I guess we are gearing up to have a very hot summer. But, I can enjoy it knowing that in about three months fall will be upon us and we'll be harvesting lots of yummies. For those of you who don't know me all that well, fall is my favorite!

I keep getting off the gardening news. Everything looks good except for my beans. They are drying up too fast. And something appears to be eating the leaves of the beans and peppers. The zucchini look fabulous as do all of the peppers. I don't see any spinach coming up but it may be to hot for that now. Oh, and Tim said he saw pea pods. I didn't check on my peas today and I will have to when it cools off a bit. I did trim a bunch of the dying roses off the bush. I will get the birds feeders tomorrow. Oh, and we saw the falcon again. Tim saw it in the front tree two weeks ago when I was planting my shade garden and we saw it this afternoon chasing down a bird. It is huge.

Ok, everyone is screaming about hungry they are so I suppose I will go start dinner. Have a good night.

No comments: