Tuesday, June 10, 2008

What do you do when it's hot?

You go from this:



To this:






Mylie had all of her fur shaved off. She will be a very happy doggie this summer. I wonder if we should do that with Patchy...but I'd be afraid of what he looks like with no fur. If it starts to look like he can't handle the heat we will trim him back a bit. All I know is that when it's 90 out he does not want to do his 4 mile walks.

This morning when Tim and I were out surveying the gardens I found these on the rose bushes. I know the picture isn't very clear, but they are tiny little green inchworm things. They are eating the leaves of the rose bushes like I've never seen before. Entire branches of leaves have been chewed up. On the first picture, at the top of the bottom leaf you can see a light green little worm. (I should really play with photoshop some more and then I could add in little arrows to point to them.) In the second picture at the top you can see a curly little twig that used to be full of leaves and then you can see the holes in the rest of the leaves. I'm going to have to do some research today on how to organically eliminate those little buggers. I think for now I'm going to trim the bush back trying to get as many worms as possible and put it to the curb in our city pickup of yard waste.



It doesn't appear that they are munching on any of the other plants around in the area. I hope I can nip them in the bud before they take over the potatoes or radishes. The rest of the gardens are looking great. I think all of our tomato plants have doubled in size. They appear to like the heat wave we have going. My beans looked much better today too. It appears that I lost three of the green bean plants but I still have four left (with a couple seedlings in the basement waiting to go out) and I have 5 wax beans that are doing well. They are starting to get their next set of leaves. I'm happy about that. We have a lot of weeding to do. I am going to attempt to get some of that done this morning when my allergy pill kicks in. I woke up fine this morning and then in the last 30 minutes I have the worst allergy symptoms. I want to claw my eyes out they are so itchy. It makes me cranky. I've already apologized to the kiddies. I do want to get out and get some weeding done early though. It's supposed to be up to 92 again today but there are some fierce looking storms coming out way for this afternoon and then it's supposed to cool off again.

Oh, and look what I got last night!!

It's a shamrock. I noticed it at Barbara's house and asked her what kind of plant it was because I fell in love with the leaves. She told me it was a shamrock and that I could try and save it as she was slowly killing it.

Look at that leaf! I love it. I did a little bit of research on it and it looks like I'm going to have to get a wide pot to put it in because it likes to shoot out long runners and then the runners root themselves. I've pulled all of the dead leaves and runners off of it and watered and sprayed some worm poo on it and I hope I can get it to bush back up. It also mentioned that it likes to go on vacation (who doesn't) and it's supposed to go dormant for a couple of months and then be brought back. I'm assuming that she got it for St Patrick's Day in March so if it doesn't come right back with some TLC I will put it down into the basement and let it rest. It's just too cool though. I love it. Thanks Barbara!!

So, I should go get some indoor stuff done while I wait for my Zyrtec to start working and then I can head out and do some weeding. I hope everyone has a fantabulous day!!

No comments: