Thursday, June 26, 2008

First failure.

I have my first garden experiment failure. The radishes. They got so big and the greens looked so healthy but I noticed the other day that they were starting to flower. I just pulled a bunch and while the tops are gorgeous, the bottoms actual radishes are non-existent. I am going to go ahead and yank the rest of them tomorrow so the carrots have a little more room to grow. I was just googling (as I've been doing a lot of lately) and found that you can eat the radish greens, so at least we'll get some use out of them. I'm not sure what went wrong with them. Our temps have been mild lately...but we did have one hot streak that lasted about 4 days when the highs were 96 to 97. Or maybe I over-watered? I don't know. I'll try and plant some more seeds at the end of summer and see if I can get some for the fall. Although no one in my house, besides me, likes radishes.

sad little radishes

I also need to thank Nancy for dropping off this beautiful kohlrabi. I noticed these at the market today, but didn't pick any up. Nancy was amazed at how big they were so she picked us up one. I'll be slicing that bad boy up tomorrow and eating it. I know we have several kohlrabi plants growing in our garden. I wonder if they will get as big.

kohlrabi

1 comment:

Lewru said...

I had problems with radishes and beets bulbing up this year. I think it may be the soil. I know there wasn't too much nitrogen, but maybe it's whatever causes the root growth that was lacking. I'll do some research before the fall planting and holler back!