Thursday, June 26, 2008

Farm Market

Today was the first day of the season for our local farmer's market. I've been waiting for this day for a while. I went a couple of times last year but always got overwhelmed by the amount of people there. It was no different this time as the market was PACKED!

The kids and I left the house at 11 and walked down to the public square where it's held. It was really cool out and windy which made the walk a really enjoyable one. We were marveling at how the sound of the wind in the trees made it sound like the trees were talking to us. I dug out Aidan's old stroller out of the basement and let him ride. I figured it was easier than trying to keep the two of them from running into the major roads and it would give me a place to store things if I were to purchase anything. It took us about 20 minutes to walk there and we were supposed to meet Tim there. He works in the square so he was going to come down and walk around with us and have lunch there. Here is a picture of the square as we approached. The kids were so excited and they each had a couple of dollars burning holes in their pockets.

I had to stop at the atm and get some cash before we hit the market and I learned another lesson today. One being don't use the fast cash function on the atm and two: Don't let your eight year old bump your arm while you are trying to hit the 60 dollar button. He bumped me as I was getting ready to push the button and accidentally hit 200. Gah!

While we waited for Tim to come down and meet us the kids each got a piece of pizza and we enjoyed the cool breeze and sights and sounds. As the lunch crowd in the square got out...the place got packed. I don't like when things are so busy. It's just people bumping into people.

plants for sale

lots of towns folk

Tim finally caught up with us and wandered around as best we could. There were a couple of major things I noticed. In my opinion, there were too many fast food vendors. There were two pizza vendors, a middle eastern vendor, a potato pancake vendor, a periogi vendor, a hamburger vendor, a bbq vendor, an ice cream vendor, and a lemonade stand. A couple I can deal with, but when I go to a farmer's market I want to find produce. The other thing I noticed was that there was not a great variety of produce yet. I figure because it's still fairly early in the season and today is the first day. There were a lot of plants for sale, which made me happy...but honestly, I don't really need any more plants (for now). So, what did we get?

2 delphinium plants and 1 echinacia plant

sugar snap peas, honey, lemon sponge pie and two type of cookies

Plants? Yes...more plants. I picked up the 2 delphiniums for Nancy because she had mentioned them a couple of days ago. Man, are they ever sweet smelling. Then Connor wanted to get Debbie a plant as well, so he picked out the echinacia for her.

Connor's pick.


sweet smelling and oh so pretty.

Tonight, if it's not raining we'll put these new babies in the ground. It was raining this morning so I have not had to water the plants today. I think it's supposed to rain more tonight, so that will make for some happy plants.

That is all I have for now. Have a great day!

No comments: