Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Tuesday

*doing a Tuesday wrap-up on Wed.

Tuesday ended up being a great day. I had my doubts because when we got up it was dark and stormy looking out. Grandma was still here and we wanted to do something fun but it didn't look like the weather was going to cooperate. We decided to run to JoAnn Fabrics so that we could look around. I've been itching to sew again and have played with the idea of making my own dress to wear to my father-in-laws wedding in October. I picked out a pattern and some material. I got it for a steal at 5 bucks a yard. I'm going to make it and if it turns looking decent I'll wear it, if not, I have plenty of time to figure something else out.

a cute dress I hope

After the fabric store we came home and had a quick lunch. It was still pretty yucky looking out but the kids were bugging to do something with grandma before she went home. I had heard on the news yesterday that there was a fair north of here that was going on for, get this, the 151st year. That means the first year this fair was run was in 1857 (and yes, I used a calculator). It was about 50 minutes north of here. So, even though it was dark out we took a gamble and went for it. We headed for the Harford County Fair. I am so glad we did. By the time we got there (around 1 pm) the sun was out full force and it was feeling like a cool fall day. It was only 68 degrees and it was breezy and it felt great. I'm not normally a fair/carnival kind of person. Never really went to them as a kid. I always have concerns about fair rides and the safety of them and well, I don't like being around a lot of people. Some might call me anti social. The fair was really busy considering it was a Tuesday. It made me shudder to think what it will be like on the weekend.

Once we got in the kids immediately were drawn to the rides. I bought a few tickets and we scoped out the safest (least amount to fall) rides. They hit the carousel first.

Aidan approves of the carousel.

After the carousel we were able to talk them into walking around a little bit before we hit any more rides. We wandered in to where they had all the animals. We saw goats, sheep, cows, and pigs.

I don't think Aidan liked the smells.

The kids were losing their patience while Grandma and I were walking around looking at the crafts and things. Parts of it were kind of set up like a flea market. The kids each got Patchy a big rawhide bone and they each got to dunk a little boy by throwing a ball at a target. The food smells were starting to get to the wee ones and I had to get them food.

While we were walking around we stumbled on a bee/honey shack. There were gentlemen there talking about how to keep a hive and I picked up a catalog of bee keeping supplies, which I lost somewhere in my travels later. It was really neat though.

lots of bees in a hive

At this point the boys were losing their patience and wanted to get back to the rides. So, we headed back to let them do a couple more rides. First they went on the alligator roller coaster. They loved this ride and rode it twice, once in the front and then once in the back.

Connor looks scared on this ride...but he loved it.

The second time they rode the butt of the alligator.


They did a little fishing. Each of them won a stuffed animal that I know is going to end up in pieces all over the house once Patchy gets to them.


Fried Oreos, really? Ugh.

No comments: