Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Today

And here we are to Wednesday. I am hopefully done with my recaps for the last couple of days. The garden is looking good. I think the zucchinis are done for the year. The plant kind of just died off. We have broccoli out there that is ready to be picked. I'm very excited about this:

savoy cabbage

I'm going to have to dig up Tim's grandmother's recipe for cabbage rolls, because it is the best recipe ever. I can't wait to use this cabbage!

Tim is very excited with his chili peppers. They are starting to turn red. I'm not sure what he's going to do with all of them. I'll probably snag a couple for making dal with but the rest are his babies.

nice hot pepper

We are still having a ton of tomatoes ripen. I just called Nancy to tell her to go pick some from the back gardens. They are ready and are going to start dropping. We still have a bunch that we need to use. I guess this weekend will be another canning weekend. Mom D brought me over some of her cucumbers and I'm going to get some dill pickles made, and we can make more tomato sauce.

monster sized tomatoes

The lettuce seeds that we planted on Saturday were up yesterday. All three types have sprouted and I'll let them get a little bit bigger before I thin them out. I guess they are really loving the cool August we are having.

row of Escarole

I know I've said it before, but I'm going to say it again. I think these are one of my favorite flowers and I hope that I've been able to save some of the seeds so that I can plant next year.

Gazanias...love them!

Tim and I just walked through the back gardens and were discussing the work we needed to do back there and guess what we found? Not only did we find two butternut squash, but we also found an acorn squash. I guess we got them both. They were free plants given to us at a nursery because they were just going to throw them out. They have taken over one of the beds completely back there but I'm excited to actually see squash on the vines now. I had my doubts.

Well, I think I'm caught up for this week. It's been busy but fun. Time to get back into a routine.

Oh, and Brian....I'm glad your tomato stopped growing sideways. You seriously crack me up...not necessarily when you call at 10 pm..but...you crack me up.

And Amy...don't pay attention to Tim. =)

I hope everyone has a great day!

1 comment:

Lewru said...

Thanks for the reminder to get a-plantin' for the fall season! I've started beans but that's it. Lettuce is definitely on the list...So are you going to start keeping bees???