Monday, August 4, 2008

Quiet.


Sunflower picked from under one of the bird feeders.

All is quiet on the gardening front. We had a pretty low key weekend and I feel refreshed today.

Saturday, Tim picked these tomatoes:

He proceeded to take two of the big green ones and make fried green tomatoes. Connor got into it too. He got his apron on and helped dip the tomato slices into the batter and move them to the skillet. They were an amazing lunch and Connor had a lot of fun. Connor also got to dabble in sewing. Last week I finally got the big desk moved around in the dining room and set up my craft corner. I pulled out my sewing machine and it will stay out now. We finished an apron I had started last year. Now my sewing projects are all done and I'm on the hunt for something new to do.

Sunday was the laziest day I think I've ever had. I got up and made french toast Alton Brown style and then did nothing the rest of the day. I even napped in the middle of the day. I think I needed it because I feel better today. Plus last night we got to see pre-season football. Oh yeah, it's almost football season again. Have I mentioned that I love the fall?! I did wander out into the garden and we pulled all of this:

We were starting to drown in tomatoes so Tim made this most amazing pasta sauce. He used everything out of our garden. He used tomatoes, basil, zucchini and green pepper and also a hot pepper. He blended it all up in the blender so Aidan wouldn't see the veggies and we had it last night over whole wheat penne pasta. It was delicious and Aidan gave it 1,000 thumbs up and inhaled it. Aidan is usually my picky eater and he actually ate pan fried tilapia on Saturday night. I was shocked. Oh, and he lost his second tooth on Saturday. I joked with him that the two teeth he lost much have been his picky teeth. He said they were and now he loved everything. One can only hope.

Today has been pretty good so far. I got up at 6 with Tim and we did our thirty minute workout. Most of you know that I am so not a morning person and it was a struggle to get up and do it but once I was up and done with the workout I felt better. We are going to get up every morning at 6 and do the workout and then we are going to do a Qi Gong workout every night before bed. I figure if I write that down here, I will have to stick with it, right? Well, at least that is the plan. I also started Aidan's school today. He has been bugging me to get started so we did two reading lessons, a math lesson and a social studies lesson. He is going to do great in school. I think he has the unfair advantage of watching Connor for three years now though. When Connor started school we had never done anything like that. Connor has been homeschooled since kindergarten and is starting the third grade this year. Aidan has been sitting along side Connor and I for that time and has learned a lot. Heck, he is even starting first grade math this year instead of Kindergarten math. I think I'll wait until the "official" first day of school with Connor. Most of his classes are based online now and a lot of them aren't up and running yet. Which is ok. That will give me a month to get Aidan settled and to try and get a routine going.

I have a loaf of bread that is about to go into the oven, so I should go do that and go look through my seeds I have and see if there is anything I want to plant. Nancy asked me this morning if I had any spinach or beet seeds. I know I'm out of beet seeds, but I'm pretty sure I have some spinach ones left. When I was at the dairy last week I noticed that they had seeds for 50% off. I might have to run over there in the next couple of days and check it out. I need half n half anyway.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

MJ said...

I soooo jealous of you having all of your sewing projects done and LOOKING for a new one! If only I had the focus (read: discipline) to stay with one project and not think of more to do in the process!! Love the pics of your veggies...simply mouth-watering!!

Lewru said...

I heart Alton Brown... :)

Anonymous said...

So Aidan doesn't like to color right now. My kids weren't fond of it either -- it takes concentration and focus -- and sometimes kids (especially boys) would rather be doing large motor activities.

Let him enjoy other forms of artistic expression. Visit a mixed media art class with someone who will not judge, but treasure his unique approach. Play and have fun with art. Crayons are just one media. Explore and enjoy.

P.S. Your garden rocks!
P.S. again.. Any advice for getting rid of squash borer organically?