Friday, August 8, 2008

A day late.

Yesterday was farmer market Thursday and I didn't get a chance t0 post because we had so much going on. It was a very busy day. Aidan and I got school done first thing and then both boys got haircuts. They look so much better. They were so shaggy looking and now they are super cute again. Then we went to the market. It was "kid's day" there and if we had been there earlier we would have been able to partake in face painting and Clifford the Big Red Dog (although both boys said they were "too old" for that) and balloon art and things, but they did get to go into the "fire house". Basically the fire department has this trailer set up like a home and then they had all the kids go in and sit through a 15 minute fire safety lesson. They explained what to do in a fire, the importance of having a safe spot outside to meet up with and things like this. It ended up with them having a smoke machine fill the trailer with smoke and the fire alarm going off and the all the children crept along the floor to the door to escape the "fire". It was funny because Tim sat outside the trailer while I went and got some produce and when I came back I walked up to smoke billowing out of the trailer and the sounds of squeals coming from inside. Aidan slid along the floor like a little military man and hopped down the steps and then Connor came out shortly after close to the floor. They appeared to have a good time and then I had to hear for the next thirty minutes everything they learned. They told me I should have been there for the kitchen safety lesson...as if I needed it. I've only started a couple of fires that I was able to quickly put out. So, they had fun and I was happy because being that they are homeschooled, they don't get to school held fire safety events. While they were in learning I was able to get all of this:

for $14.50. I got a bunch of beets to make pickled beets. We ate all of our beets out of the garden and I really wanted to try and make Nancy's pickled beets and eggs that she always makes. She was kind enough to share the recipe with me and didn't have to eliminate me after telling me. Thanks Nancy. We will be doing those tomorrow. I have to go to the store and get some whole allspice today. I've never heard of it before, I've only seen the powdered version of that. I also got a load of cucumbers for pickles. I don't know if I'm going to do dill or bread and butter. We are getting cukes off our plants, but they are not coming in fast enough to get a bunch all together plus we keep eating them right off the vine. I got Connor a cantaloupe because they are his favorite and some onions because one can never have enough onions.

After the market Aidan and I made some chocolate chip cookies to take to the grand opening of the Obama campaign office in our city. We took cookies and a bunch of soda. I was really surprised at how many people showed up to this opening. The kids had a lot of fun although Aidan was getting tired of it towards the end. It was really hot in the office and that was starting to make them cranky towards the end. Plus they were getting camera shy by the end because everyone was taking pictures of them. Connor was excited though because he got to meet Senator Bob Casey. The senator shook his hand and asked him his name and chatted with him for a minute. Connor was glowing. He said he was never going to wash his hand again. I told him I still have one better because I got to shake Obama's hand.

sign outside of office

Connor and Senator Casey

1 comment:

Lewru said...

Dill, dill, dill! Woohoo - those look like fantastic future pickles!