Thursday, July 24, 2008

Farm Market Thursday!

Oh, how I love Thursdays now! It is farm market today down in the square. It takes the boys and I about 25 minutes to walk down there and then we are in heaven. They like it because I let them each get a piece of pizza and I like it because of the plethora of fruits, veggies and plants. Tim met us down there after his team meeting was done and we all walked around together. They had a special table set up this time with bugs. All different kinds of bugs, good and bad for the garden. I touched a hissing cockroach. They had all kinds of bugs that were in jars and it made me think of Lewru's bug blog she did. It was neat and the kids had a blast. We scored a whole bunch of goods today:

Of course we hit the Amish baked goods, and we got some corn, leeks, potatoes, dill, cherries, peaches and a ton of green and wax beans.

It's a gorgeous day out today too. All in all, we had 2 1/2 inches of rain yesterday. Right now it's 1:15 and only 68 degrees out. Have I mentioned that I love living in the north east? I do. I got out into the garden today to look around some more. I've declared this weekend a "weeding weekend". Tim has said he will help me out there. I did harvest a couple of things.

swiss chard and some wax beans and green beans

I am so excited with the amount of tomatoes that we have out there. Most of them are the size of my fist.

tomatoes galore

I have to laugh as I show you the next tomato plant. Brian, this one is for you. After seeing your tomato plant , I had to show you the tomato plant that Patchy dug up and that we thought was a goner.

I've named this Patchy because of his attempted murder.

Patchy's fruit.

I wish your little tomato plant luck and suggest that if you attempt to grow tomatoes next year, replant it sooner.

Finally, I am happy to say that it appears the cucumber plants are happy with their trellis. They have climbed up one side, tried to get into the pear tree and are starting down the other side.

cukes

Nancy cut up a couple of these babies last weekend for our book club meeting and they are so yummy. I'm not sure we'll get enough off of them to actually make pickles or not. We seem to be eating them as fast as we pick them.

My big canning pot that I ordered yesterday is due to be showing up at my house today. Color me excited. The other kit (the one with the tongs and funnel and all that fun stuff) is due to be here July 30th. I'm contemplating trying a batch of canning before that stuff gets here. That's why I got all the beans. I'm going to attempt to make some dilly beans. A friend of mine sent me the recipe a couple of years ago and now I need to go dig it up.

Time to put the zucchini bread in the oven and get some stuff done around the house. Have a great day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's not dead yet!