Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Beets!


beets, glorious beets!

Today was beet picking day. The kids each wanted to pick some and we only picked half of them. They are all pretty good size and I'm hoping Nancy will share her pickled beets and eggs recipe with me. Hint, hint. Aidan wanted to pick carrots too, but they are not very big yet. I pulled one last night to see if they were ready. It was a tiny little carrot that tasted really good, but they need to be bigger.

Aidan getting dirty

Connor picking one of his all time favorite vegetables.


We picked two more tomatoes today. Tim had one for breakfast this morning and said they were really good. I haven't had one yet. I'll try and have one tomorrow. Last night I did get some heirloom tomatoes at the store and they were divine. It has us trying another experiment. We are going to try and save the seeds and try and grow them. I'll post more about that later.

There is a lot to be done in the gardens. Weeding mostly. I also want to try and plant some more beets and I guess look at doing some lettuce. It's been really hot here lately and not much fun to be outside. We are supposed to get rain tomorrow and then it's supposed to cool off. One can only hope. I think I have boredom brewing. This is the time of year when we are just waiting for the veggies to be done. There is no excitement of planting and watching things grow. All I'm watching grow right now are weeds. Not fun.

I'm slowly getting back into routine from being on vacation so hopefully I will feel like being more productive out there and start my winter planning. Maybe a good rainy day is what I need tomorrow. I'll stay in pj's and do some reading. Yup, sounds good to me.

Have a good night all.