Saturday, March 14, 2009

Today's treasures.

I went on my first adventure going to tag sales.  Nancy and I mapped out four places we wanted to hit and were on the road at an ungodly hour (7:45 am).  I had 32 dollars in my pocket.  The first place we went to was packed.  It was inside the person's home and there were so many people inside it was hard to move around.  There was a ton of stuff for sale but nothing I really wanted/needed.  I did spend 25 cents on a big bag of crafting sticks, you know the ones that look like popsicle sticks. I figure I can use them for the garden to mark what I put where.  I did also spend 1 dollar on this set of three metal bowls.  Pretty good score.

my new bowls


The next house we went to was interesting.  Again, everything was inside their home.  This time though, everyone who was living there was smoking.  It smelled terrible.  I would think that if you are wanting to sell your stuff, you shouldn't be smoking around it.  It was awful.  The people were kind of creepy too.  The third house was just a couple of streets over and there wasn't anything special.  The last house was another score for me.

The last house was actually right around the corner from my house.  They had a gorgeous sofa and love seat.  In the past I have always said that I could never buy a sofa second hand (basically because of the smoking house situation), but this set was gorgeous.  It was well taken care of and looked really pretty.  I didn't even ask how much it was though.  I'm guessing they probably wanted a couple thousand dollars...which is a great price for a sofa/loveseat, but we are trying to save money right now.  This is what I did pick up:

A very large, very well maintained area rug.  How much you ask?  TWELVE DOLLARS!  It was funny because Nancy and I were both looking at it and she actually paid for it at the garage sale.  When we got home I told her that if she hadn't bought it, I was going to and she sold it to me.  Thankfully we didn't have to drive very far with this on the roof of our car.  It was pretty funny.  I love the rug.  It looks so nice in our living room and Patchy loves it too.  He now has something he can grip into when he's running around here instead of sliding around like he usually does.  

All in all, I had fun on my first adventure out into tag sales/estate sales.  I'm not really used to looking through other peoples' stuff but it's a feeling I'm sure I'll get used to.  I'm also happy that I came home with 20 dollars still in my pocket.

When I got home the mail was delivered and I got my little measuring cups that I had ordered of off Etsy the other day.  They are sooo cute.  I'm trying to figure out where to put them so the kids don't break them.

How cute are these?  Oh yeah, they are cute!

So that sums up my day thus far.  The sun is shining today and the temps are slowly creeping up.  I think sometime this weekend we are going to prep one of the garden plots and plant some pea seeds and hopefully transplant the few plants that I have growing.

Tim just head out the door with the kids to take them to the toy store.  Aidan has a gift card burning a hole in his pocket.  I'm going to go enjoy the peace and quiet.  Have a great weekend!


No comments: