Friday, April 3, 2009

Binghamton.

I was shocked to see the news today.  Quiet, little Binghamton, NY all over the news.  When Tim and I got married he was living in Johnson City going to school there.  I moved up there when we got hitched.  We lived there for two years.  Connor was born there. 

 It was a nice enough town. Moving there was a culture shock for me.  I had pretty much grown up in Central Florida.  I often marveled at the  local news in Binghamton.  Instead of the home invasions and murders of where I grew up, the news was about someone retiring after a certain number of years...or news about the bridge being redone or something.  It was quiet.  When we lived there, I didn't particularly care for it becuase I was used to a bigger city and much more things to do.  We moved to back to Florida and stayed there for three years.  Then one night I had a dream that we back to Binghamton.

We didn't ultimately end up there but it got us back up into the North East.  We often go up to Binghamton to see friends.  We have a lot of good memories there.  It's sad that it's in the news for such a terrible thing.  Unfortunately, with the economy the way it is and more and more people finding themselves out of work, I fear what happened today will be something we see more and more of.  I know Binghamton is a great town and the people in that area will pull together and get through this.

Oddly enough, we had planned on going to Binghamton tomorrow for a rock and gem show for Tim and we had decided to not go before this happened.  Tim has a school project that is due on Sunday and now with the shooting I'm glad we had made that decision.  It's going to be a zoo there with every news station swarming around.

We'll be back to you soon Binghamton.  Who knows?  Tim might end up back in your school soon enough.  My thoughts are with all the families affected today.

No comments: