Monday, March 2, 2009

Quick Post.

This is just a quick little post because I'm getting ready to get into bed and try and warm up.  It's been way to cold today.  At least we didn't get all the snow that others around us have.  I'll grumble about the cold and the wind but at least I'm not out shoveling snow right now.

I wanted to post a picture of the cake that Tim and I made for Aidan.  Now, history on this.  We had a hamster up until two weeks ago.  She died peacefully in her sleep and honestly, we weren't that sad to see her go because she was mean.  Aidan had said that for his party he wanted a hamster cake.  When he had made this request, Rhino was still alive and he was watching dvds of Hamtaro.  So, he had hamsters on the brain.  After Rhino passed we asked Aidan if he wanted to change the theme of the cake.  I was thinking maybe he would change it to Kirby or Bolt or something that is relevant to what they are watching/playing right now.  Nope.  Aidan just said, "Let's make a dead hamster cake".  Voila.


I made the cakes on Friday.  It was a fiasco.  I made four round cakes and the 13x9.  I sprayed all the pans and thought it would be ok.  Every single one of the cakes stuck to the pan and broke as I tried to ease them out.  We, at this point, also realized that I should have made 6 round cakes so that the hamster would be taller.  So, I redid all of the cakes.  We crumbled up the broken cakes and fed them to the birds.  This time I put parchment paper on the bottom of each pan and they came out beautiful.  I was beat after all of the baking though. 12 cakes in one day is a bit much.

Saturday morning Tim got up and pieced the cakes together.  I made a huge batch of buttercream frosting and he stacked everything up.  He carved the shape and then covered it with frosting.  Then he covered it with fondant and painted it with edible paint (corn syrup and food coloring).  All in all, it was a great success.  The cake recipe was very tasty and moist.

I think that is all for now.  I promise I will do a gardening post soon. I got a bunch of my seedlings transplanted into bigger pots and now I am in a holding pattern until spring.  Oh Spring, where are you?

1 comment:

Bee said...

Are you insinuating that this should be on that? It was funny because when we were making it, that website was in the back of my head. Isn't it for professional cake decorators though? We are not. =)