Thursday, March 5, 2009

As Promised.

A gardening update. My little baby seedlings are growing into fine young adults. I have transplanted all of the veggies into bigger pots and they seem to be doing ok. I have had to move them out to the table that I have in my kitchen which thankfully is under a very large window.

My flowers are all (except for my sweet peas) still in the seed tray. A couple of my zinnias have kind of withered up. I guess they should have been transplanted. They grew up pretty fast though and I have seeds still, so once the ground thaws out, I'll plant some more seeds out in the garden.


My kitchen garden. They are patiently waiting to go outside.

My zucchini. I am very happy with how these little guys are looking. I can almost taste the zucchini casserole and zucchini bread now.

30 tomato plants. There are 15 red and 15 orange heirloom plants growing here.

A little mater. I'm cautiously optimistic about these tomatoes. I am so curious to see how big these plants get outside. I will be shocked and amazed if they grow into full size shrubs that produce fruit. Fingers crossed.

Some green beans. There are four plants in that one pot and three of them are dying. I was trying to figure out why. It then dawned on me that when I transplanted them into bigger pots, some of the roots were kind of ripped out of the dirt. Ooops. I guess I need to use a more tender touch. Again, these grew pretty fast and I think once we can plant outside, I'll throw some more seeds into the ground. We are going to plant these babies out where our potato patch was last year. I have plenty of room to work with. The question is, do I really need all that many green beans? Although, I have been loving eating my dilly beans that I canned last year. They are PERFECT on a salad. Yum.


So, now we just wait until this shows some warmer temps. I can only hope that it's around the corner in a couple more weeks. I'm tired of the cold. Oh, that reminds me. I need to research if the time changes on Sunday. On our city calendar it's listed as changing on Sunday. Didn't that change? I guess I'll have to go figure it out. Yay to longer days though!

I'll leave this post with a couple of cute pictures. The first one is of Patchy. Yesterday he put his front paws up on my legs and stayed like that for about 2 minutes. He was watching the crazy squirrels in the back yard. As I type this right now, I'm watching 8 different ones race back and forth on the power lines, into the trees, into the rhododendron and on the to the fort. They are crazy. Patchy enjoyed watching them too.

Patchy

This next picture is of a bird we've seen recently out on our front tree enjoying some suet. I thought it was a woodpecker, but now I'm not so sure. I'm going to have to dig out our bird book and see if I can figure it out. For now, we just call him zebra. =)

Zebra...woodpecker?

I hope everyone is gearing up for a warm Spring.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Oh crap. Should I have my tomato seeds growing already?

A certain someone who thought I could raise one of her tomato plants last year (and was proven wrong) thought it would be fracking hilarious to get me an entire package of seeds along with the soil and a new pot for Christmas.