Friday, January 2, 2009

Hello 2009...

I hope you will be fine.  I'm a poet and I don't know it.  Ok, enough.

2009 came in uneventful, which is a good thing.  We took the kids to see Bedtime Stories on New Years Eve and then we came home and attempted to stay up to ring in the new year, but three of the four of us were asleep by 10.  Oh well, the year came in without us.

New Years Day we played games, watched a movie and burned a couple of candles that Debbie had given us.  They are bayberry candles and there was a note with them saying that it was a Colonial custom to burn these candles on New Years Day for good luck...so burn them we did. 

box of candles...they smelled really good.

Fired up...ready to go!  Sorry,  couldn't resist.  Sorry mom that the candle stick holders aren't polished.  I had to scrounge around to find them.  I also notice that I need to dust the bricks on the fireplace.  Another thing to add to my "to do" list.


A blury picture of candles and fireplace burning.  If I could find my tripod the picture would look better.  Another thing to add to my "to do" list.

This brings me to my "to do" list.  I have to much to do on my list.  I'm not sure where to start.  I know better than making resolutions because I never keep those.  I will put some goals out there and work very hard to make these goals.  

My first goal is (as usual) is to lose weight and get healthy.
Second goal is to make sure we get done with school on time and have fun doing it.
Third goal is to at least once a month find a new state park and hike it with the family.
Fourth goal is to organize the house.
Fifth goal (which should be third) is to start some serious savings.

Short term goals, and I mean I want them done by the end of this month is to clean up around the outside of the house.  Finish moving closets around.  Get the big bookcase down into the basement.  Read my book club book.  Lose 10 pounds.

Books.  I'm trying to read three books at once and it seems none of them are getting read.  I have to read Sense and Sensibility for our book club this month.  I'm trying to finish Half Assed and the Beck book.  I don't really have time during the day to read and when I try to read in bed at night, I end up falling asleep after two pages.  Not looking good for me.

Gardening.  I know, I know, that was what this blog was supposed to be about wasn't it?  I have two see catalogs waiting for me to look over.  I have started thinking about what I want to grow this year.  I know for sure there will be tomatoes and beets.  I have been loving my pickled beets that we stored, so I need to double how many I grow this year. I don't think I'll be doing radishes or carrots.  Potatoes I think are a go again and of course zucchini.  I would like to try some melons this year and maybe a pumpkin or two.  I need to figure out when I should be starting seeds downstairs.  Add that to my "to do" list too.

Lots to do.  This should be a good year.  I'm hopeful.  It is looking good for Tim for keeping his job after the takeover.  We are a month away from having our credit cards completely paid off.  We are looking to get a "new" used vehicle...one that is a little bit bigger for our growing boys and dog.  We will celebrate being married ten years this year.  I think that alone is pretty awesome.

Ok, Aidan is waiting for a hot game of Perfection and is getting impatient.  That, and I have to go make soup for dinner because Tim just called and said he was so hungry he was ready to eat his hand.  I am going to scoot out of here for now.

Happy New Year to all!
 

1 comment:

anajz said...

Hi! I just came across your blog and boy am I excited! I see that you have me in your blogroll and I have reciprocated on mine as well....but I believe I would have added you even if you had not added me first. I love it here.

Since this is a New Year's Post, I wanted to let you know that I am sponsoring a New Year GiveAway at my place (which ends on the 7th)...if you are interested.