Thursday, December 18, 2008

Cookie preview

Yesterday Aidan and I scoured the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion book.  We have compiled a list of eight different cookies that we are going to attempt this weekend.  I think all of them we have made at one time of the other, but we still had fun looking through the book and deciding what to do.

The list of cookies are:  Chocolate Pixies (this recipe is one from Tim's paternal grandmother), Monster Chocolate chip cookies, Peanut Blossoms, Almond Crisps, Mocha Mudslides, Lemon Coolers, Soft Molasses cookies,  and then sugar cookies for cut out shapes.  

Every year we make up cookie tins for our neighbors and Tim's team and I was worried that this year because of my back problem that I would not be able to do it, but I am happy to report that I am slowly regaining mobility.  I've just made up a list for Tim to go to the store and get all of our supplies.  I told him to make sure he has his phone with him because I can see him now, lost in the baking aisle.   The cashier is going to know what is going on when he goes through the line with 4 big packs of butter and 15 pounds of flour and assorted sugars and chips.  

I think it's going to be a perfect weekend for cookie baking too if the forecast stays the same.  We are under a winter weather watch.  They are saying that starting tonight and through tomorrow we will have between 5 to 10 inches of snow and ice.  If it doesn't ice, then it could be 12 inches of snow.  I can't think of anything nicer than being in our warm, cozy home with the smell of cookies baking. I'm sure Tim will take the kids out sledding if we do, in fact, get that much snow.  I don't think my back will be up for it yet, but he's already been talking about getting a snow tube for the kids to take over to the park.

So it appears I have a herniated disc.  I've been doing some research on it and basically I'm going to have to slowly get back into moving around and not stress it too much.  I found some exercises to strengthen your spine and I will start doing those probably over the weekend.  I'm also going to get back to doing my Wii Fit.  There were a lot of balance and core exercises on that and I think that will help me.   I don't think I'm going to be able to hit icy sidewalks on dog walks for a while.  One slip and tug on my back and I'm going to end up in bed for another week.  I have been able to get out of bed today and do a couple of loads of laundry and sweep the floor so I'm pleased with that.  

That about sums up today.  If all goes well we will have a regular cookie factory humming here on the weekend and I'll try to get some pics of my little helpers.

No comments: